Prairie Roots Research specializes in Iowa & Midwestern research, including state & federal census, vital records, military, wills & probates, land records, church records, cemeteries, local histories and more.
We travel throughout Iowa and surrounding states to conduct a personalized search of often-overlooked local resources in addition to utilizing the extensive collections of the Iowa State Archives and other libraries/repositories located in Des Moines.
Projects that extend beyond the Midwest are welcome—Iowa’s heritage is a melting pot of ancestry from older states and many European countries. Prairie Roots Research will search for your elusive colonial ancestor or take your line “back to the boat.” We network with researchers across the country and can help you connect with professional European researchers when the project crosses the ocean.
Full-Service Research Includes:
- Free initial consultation
- Review of information provided by client
- Formulation of work plan
- Research & analysis
- Calendar of records searched
- Evaluation of documents with complete source citations
- Written report of findings, including negative findings
- Recommendations for further research
- Copies, transcriptions, or abstracts of documents, as appropriate
Prairie Roots Research is dedicated to providing meticulous source-cited results presented in historical, social, and cultural context for historians and authors. We travel throughout Iowa and surrounding states to access local and regional resources. We provide document images, transcriptions and abstracts of original material, in addition to quality photographs of historical locations.
Historical research services include accessing
- Original documents at local historical societies, state and regional archives
- Manuscript collections at colleges, universities, and historical societies
- Microfilmed local, state, and national records
- Military records
- Historical photographs
- Historical authored works, i.e. local histories, periodicals and journals
Contact us about your project. We will work with you to develop an effective, efficient research plan.
Basic Document Retrieval
Need a simple record search? Prairie Roots Research offers basic document search and retrieval services. This works well for clients who know exactly what resource they need to search, but who are not able to access the records personally. We conduct the search, makes copies or transcriptions of the findings, then sends you the results.
Document retrievals include:
- A search of relevant resources for the requested document.
- A calendar of the records examined.
- The best possible copy/image of the document.
- A complete source citation.
- A transcription or abstract of the document.